|The early church …The First Presbyterian Church of Ottumwa, Iowa, was organized in 1853. At that time, Ottumwa was a frontier town with a population of about 600 persons.
A group of women successfully petitioned the Presbytery for permission to organize a church in Ottumwa. A committee met December 21, 1853, for the purpose of establishing a church.
On December 24, 1853, the congregation met at the old Court House at Market and Third Streets, prayed, and elected three ruling elders: W.L. Orr, M.D., John Hite, and John M. Taylor. The purpose as stated in the Articles of Incorporation was “to promote the Christian religion in its doctrine, government, discipline and worship.” The congregation met at the courthouse and, for 18 months, preachers were supplied by the Presbytery of Des Moines at irregular intervals.
The first permanent pastor was Rev. John M. McElroy, who arrived in July, 1885, and served the congregation and the community for 14 years. During his pastorate, the church members purchased a lot on the corner of Green and Fourth streets and, for a cost of about $7,000, built a church there. They met there until it was destroyed by fire in 1919.
A church was then built at Fourth and Washington streets. It was designed by William Foster of Des Moines and was considered a fine example of ecclesiastical architecture of the 1800s.
Ground was broken at the present site at Marion and Fourth streets on March 1, 1926, and the building was completed and occupied May 1, 1927. The approximate cost, including an organ and other equipment, was $239,000.
Our legacy continues …
As we look back on the church’s beginnings and see where we are today, we realize that many changes have taken place over the years. It is amazing to see God’s hand guiding First Presbyterian Church of Ottumwa. One thing has remained constant through the years: the love for and faith in Jesus Christ. With that in mind, the Evangelism commission in 2001 established a vision statement for the church: “By blending traditions of the past with the opportunities of the future, we strive to grow our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior—with our congregation, our neighborhood, and our community.”